Too Much Katherine

Established 1979

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 10, 2006

New Book In Town

This evening I have started to read Middlemarch, a book that I bought some time ago, but have been putting off starting, because of its intimidating and subway-unfriendly heft.

I've barely gotten underway, but have already found one sentence that I can't resist quoting.

Her mind was theoretic, and yearned by its nature after some lofty conception of the world which might frankly include the parish of Tipton and her own rule of conduct there; she was enamoured of intensity and greatness, and rash in embracing whatever seemed to her to have those aspects; likely to seek martyrdom, to make retractions, and then to incur martyrdom after all in a quarter where she had not sought it.


I am going to continue yesterday's story soon, too -- maybe tomorrow.

Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home