Too Much Katherine

Established 1979

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

I Wish That This Particular Sunday Would Go On Forever

...and instead, it's already over.

I also wish that the iceberg of mucus in my chest would hurry up and melt, or else solidify and kill me. The hoarse sexy voice phase of the cold was cool, the inadvertent guffaw-coughing stage I'm in right now has way less to recommend it.

The parties (400 Words launch on Wednesday, housewarming in the apartment last night) have left me feeling good. I like a party. I like a show. Yeah, it really feels like the holidays now. I even wrote a few Christmas cards today to prove it.

Day spent close to home, lounging in the sunny armchair, going to the grocery store, making up a big mess of coq au vin, doing some things that had to be done, spending some time just zoning out. I felt unusually mellow (perhaps it was the Robuitussin) and nostalgic around quarter of five in the late-afternoon light as I walked to the store (doubtless it was the classic late-fall weather), and my only complaint is that it went by too damn fast.

Challenge for the upcoming week includes: write to Cornell professors and the department secretary and figure out what, exactly, I need to accomplish before my thesis defense on February 6. I'm saying it here just to get it through my head: in a life with too many side projects, the thesis needs to wear the crown for the next couple of months. I think I will need to re-read Gravity's Rainbow, write five or so more pages, and then submit the document to the department in some kind of appropriately-formatted way. And then there's the issue of what kinds of questions the committee will lob at me during the I'm-not-sure-how-long-it-is-actually oral defense. Gulp.

I guess I will need to put poor 400 Words on auto-pilot for a while, and make peace with the idea of not getting serious about getting back in shape for a few more months, either.

Focus is a real goddammer, sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home