Too Much Katherine

Established 1979

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 22, 2006

What a Ridonkulous Week!

It's too hot in the office. It's too hot inside my black turtleneck. There are exactly four people here (in the office, not in the turtleneck). I'm drinking a beer (well, it's FRIDAY) and I think that all this screen time has messed my eyes up.

Ever go through a phase where you really like music? I'm in one of those right now. I'm in awe at the perspicacity of le grand 'shuffle' setting on the iPod. I'm in love with tabbed browsing. I'm doing a lot of things at once, and digging it.

Shipped about thirty pounds of 400 Words orders today. Fixed the problem with the PayPal shopping cart. Sent two copies to this book editor (book editor!?!? whoa!) who's interested enough to have asked for them.

Last night I went to meet Gavin and some of his other friends at the Holiday Cocktail Lounge on St. Mark's (you know, the place where the bartender is elderly and grubby and Parkinsonian enough to break your heart and also make you hope he doesn't touch the straw in your drink, much). And as I was catching Gavin up on the news, he put his finger on a thing about New York: it's really easy to snap back between love and ambivalence with this place. Lately I've been walking around in an almost manic cloud of success on the project front, the coming holidays, who knows, but I catch myself wanting to shout "I love you!" to the dude at the deli, or after work I want to just walk and walk through the streets, making eye contact, checking out buildings, just taking it all in. And in this context it's hard to believe that just a month ago I was kind of like 'eh.' At least Gavin conffirms it's not just me. New York can be moloch or it can be a chorus line. And it seems that it's usually one or the other more than it's anything in between.

Anyway so I'm about to get on my overpriced but beloved Amtrak (note to Amtrak: do NOT make me regret having just called you beloved, please, say with hour-long delays or anything) and go home. I am really looking forward to having a few days to rest or "rest", and breathe fresh air in the country, and start thinking about next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home